Adding different furniture or painting to your house to make it look more aesthetic is everyone’s choice, but you can do this by installing tiles on your wall.
A tiled feature wall can be a unique and eye-catching design element for your home. Not only can you play with colors, patterns, and textures, but also transform your home’s interior design by creating a tile feature wall.
Whether it’s a minor or a major change, creating a tile feature wall is an easy way to enhance the aesthetics of your home. In this article, you will get to know how to create a tile feature wall in detail.
We also mentioned the article about Guide to creating a transition between drywall in tub surround and tile in our previous article. If you are interested, you can click here to read it.
Types Of Feature Walls
Following are a few types of feature walls.
1. Stone And Wood Effect Feature Wall
Smooth surfaces do look appealing, but adding a little texture is also a crucial part of feature wall design. Consider getting natural materials such as stone or wood as they have grains and formations that create a more deep contrast.
2. Wallpaper Feature Wall
Wallpaper feature walls come with a lot of design options. This makes them a common choice for people who want to add a distinctive touch to their interior.
With a wide variety of textures, patterns, and materials, wallpapers can be used for a lot of interior styles, from elegance to vibrant and bold statements. They are easy to install and can be removed easily too.
3. Brick Feature Wall
Brick-feature walls bring a different kind of texture to a room. They have a raw aesthetic and are often used in industrial or farmhouse designs. Even though classic red bricks are the most popular ones, there are still a lot of options to choose from.
4. Coloured Feature Wall
Colored feature walls are the most common ones. They can be the key to an attractive room decor. Bold hues are everywhere with most designers preferring shades like magenta. They make your feature wall look stunning, especially if the room is white.
But. these contrasts might be stark and are not always as good as expected. If you’re preferring a strong color, try calming it down with some neutral shades. Go for a warm neutral shade like gold or beige or a cold neutral like taupe or gray.
Feature walls are often darker than the remaining walls. But, it doesn’t mean you have to choose a darker color for your feature wall. You can go for any color as long as it goes well with the rest of the room.
Click to learn: What types of ceramic tiles are there?
How to Create a Tile Feature Wall?
Creating a tile feature wall is a long process and requires some tools, materials, and quite some time to complete the entire process.
1. Collecting The Tools and Materials
Following is the list of materials and tools needed to create a tile feature wall:
- Eye protection glasses
- Knee pads
- Masking tape
- Measuring tape
- Spacers for tile
- Support ( wood )
- Grout sealer
- Margin trowel
- Hard-edge rubber grout float
- Three or four buckets of clean water
- Grout sponges
- Clean microfiber cloths
- Sealer applicator or narrow paintbrush
- Caulk gun
- Sealing gun
- Tile cutter
- Drill machine
- Puffy Knife
2. Select The Tiles
Select the right right according to your taste that matches and coordinates with your room’s aesthetics. Following are some most common types of tiles used in feature walls.
- Ceramic Tiles
- Porcelain Tiles
- Rustic porcelain tiles
- Glass Tiles
- Natural Stone Tiles
- Mosaic Tiles
- Metal Tiles
- Concrete Tiles
- 3D Tiles
3. Plan The Complete Layout
- The first step is to clean the surface of the wall you have selected for tiling and remove old paintings, wallpaper, and loose screws or nails from the wall. Remove the dust and with the help of a vacuum.
- Fill the cracks or any large holes if present to smooth the wall.
- Measure the wall that needs to be tiled. Mark the points and scale the height of the area of the wall.
- Always get some extra number of tiles to prevent yourself from hassle if anything gets wrong.
- To get the right number of tiles, multiply the width of your wall by its height to get the right number of tiles required. Measure the height of the border tiles according to your wall.
- Start making a layout of tiles from the midpoint. Adding spacers between each tile is important.
- Now drill the holes in the support rod or wood, which will support you while tiling.
4. Installation of Tiles
Start the process of installation of the tile by applying adhesive. Adhesive is a substance or mixture of substances used to stick or glue any object. Apply enough quantity for one to two tiles, then spread the adhesive with the edge of a trowel.
Now, press the tile into the wall at the exact position. Press firmly with your hands and make sure it holds at its place. You can check the level of the tiles by spirit level check using your support.
Now, we need to add spacers around the corners of the tiles to keep some gaps from all sides. Remove any excess substance from the surface before it gets dried.
After pressing tiles and adding spacers. Don’t forget to check out the side spades of the wall, measure the top, and button the other gaps, as walls are not always equal in length and size.
5. Proper Cutting of Tiles For Edges
- Cutting of tile is required for the edges of the walls. As walls are not always identical. You need protection for your eyes and hands during this step.
- Now, Measure the tile and minus 6mm or double the size of the spacer you are using.
- Set up the tile in the scoring wheel according to your placed mark and put gentle pressure on the tile to perform scoring. Press the hands to cut the tile by the blade. Put the cut sides towards the corners of the floor to look more smooth and finished.
- When you think it is done, then apply the adhesive to the remaining area. Perform the tiling in around five minutes after applying adhesive because, after some time, it dries and will become difficult to remove when it gets hard.
- Check the sides and corners of tiles after every row because every tile is not identical. Adjust the tile and spacing according to your needs.
- After this, leave the tiles for some time to dry according to the packet instructions. When adhesives are set completely, you can remove the support from the tiles.
Click to learn: Do you Know How to Cut the Porcelain Tile to Reduce Cracking?
6. Grouting of Tiles
Grouting is a process of filling the spaces between the tiles to strengthen them and give a finished look. It is a necessary step in the process of tile installation on the wall. Grouting is a critical step and needs expertise to do this.
- Whenever you want to renovate or repair your tile, you need to perform grouting of your tile. After the step of fixing the tile on the thin layer of mortar, the tiles fit into their place after drying.
- To start grouting, firstly, you need to clean the surface with the help of a putty knife. It will remove all the debris and scrape out all particles. Put tape on the corners to prevent those areas which don’t require grouting.
- Now, Prepare the grout mixture with the help of a guideline written on the packet. Start to work on small areas and use a small quantity of water to get the best results. Properly mix the content, leaving no lumps behind.
- Start applying the mixture from one side to another. Divide the wall into small sections for ease. Hold the grout plate at 45 degrees to the surface of the tile. Fill all the spaces.
- The next step is to remove the excess amount of grout and sweep the surface diagonally without digging into the finished area.
- Wait for about 20-30 minutes to dry and set the mixture. Then, start to clean it by using a damp cloth or sponge. Don’t go too deep into the joints, and change the sponge frequently.
- Once the grout gets dry and hard, you can apply grout sealer with a paintbrush by using manufacturer guidelines.
Now, you all know how to create a tile feature wall, as we have explained every step in detail. The last step is to seal all the fixtures present to avoid the filling of moisture and dust into these spaces.
Seal all the joints or fixtures present wherever you are tiling. Sealing will involve the fixation of joints by silicone.
Finish the silicone coat with a finisher or with the help of a wet or gloved finger. It will remove all the excess substance if present. Let it dry for about 24 hours.
This was all about how to create a Tile Feature Wall that makes your room look more pleasant and attractive. You can enhance the beauty of the walls of your room by adding such features of tile according to your choice.
It will change the entire look of your house. Visit George Ceramic to purchase tiles according to your liking.